Electronic prescribing is an option for prescribers and their patients to use an electronic prescription as an alternative to a paper prescription. The foundational technical framework for electronic prescribing was published on 31 October 2019 after a co-design approach by the Agency working with industry, consumers, health professionals, peak bodies and governments. Changes to the PBS legislative framework by Health also commenced from 31 October 2019, ensuring core regulatory and technical changes were complete.
Further revisions to the technical framework have since been published.
The objective of the Electronic Prescribing Industry Offer- second round (EPIO2) is to incentivise the delivery to market of the ‘full’ electronic prescribing functionality as described in the Electronic Prescribing Solution Architecture v2.0. Requirements for software to achieve this full functionality is detailed in the Agency’s Electronic Prescribing Conformance Profile v3.0 (CPv3.0) that was published on 16 April 2021. The associated Electronic Prescribing- Conformance Test Specifications (CTS) for CPv3.0 were subsequently published on 23 April 2021.
This procurement will incentivise a number of CIS and mobile application providers to conform to the requirements of CPv3.0. The anticipated outcome will be a number of newly conformant software products such as CISs used by other authorised prescribers beyond medical practitioners (e.g. nurse practitioners, dental practitioners, optometrists) or EMMs for healthcare providers such as residential aged care and hospitals.
The Agency will oversee conformance testing against the published electronic prescribing conformance profile and engage with conformant open Prescription Delivery Services as the test environment.
For more information about the Electronic Prescribing Industry Offer- second round:
- The offer document is listed on the AusTender portal as reference RFT DH3391. Applications close 28 May 2021.
- A recording of an Industry Briefing webinar held on 11 May about EPIO2 is available HERE. A simple registration process is required to access the recording.
- The presentation delivered at the Industry Briefing webinar held on 11 May about EPIO2 is available HERE.
- To ask questions about EPIO2, please email: [email protected]. Deadline for Submission of Tenderers’ Questions about EPIO2 must be received via this email address by 2.30pm local Canberra time on Friday, 21 May 2021.
- Software developers can access Electronic Prescribing Conformance Profile v3.0 and other electronic prescribing technical framework documents and information via the Agency’s Developer Centre.
Please contact [email protected] if you require further assistance.
 The Agency has previously released electronic prescribing industry offers.
i. A ‘Fast Track’ electronic prescribing industry offer aligned to the Australian Government’s COVID-19 National Health Plan, and
ii. A first round (EPIO1) industry offer to eligible prescribe and dispense CIS software products.